In many cases, when cancer metastasizes to the skeletal system, the condition is terminal. Moreover, bone density is lost when cancer proliferates, thereby causing a decrease in quality of life. The two types of cancer that are most likely to metastasize to the bone are breast and prostate cancer. This summer, I am working under Vivian Ma, as I investigate the changes in the level of calcium secreted by osteocytes immersed in cancer cell conditioned media. MLO-Y4 cells, a line of osteocytes, as well as MDA-MB-231 cells, a sample of breast cancer cells from a donor, are being used.
- May 12, 2017 – Welcome New Summer Student Lilia!
- Apr. 2, 2017 – Congratulations to June for receiving the CGS-M CIHR!
- Jan. 20, 2017 – Congratulations to June for receiving the Wildcat Fellow Scholarship!
- Jan. 16, 2017 – Congratulations to Henry for receiving the SGS Travel Grant!
- Oct. 21, 2016 – Congratulations to Kevin for receiving a new scholarship!
- Oct. 20, 2016 – Congratulations to Henry for a successful bypass exam!
- Sept. 23, 2016: Congratulations to Madeleine for her successful defense!!!
- May 3, 2016: Congratulations Vivian for winning a CIHR CGS award!!!
- May 3, 2016: Welcome new summer students to the lab!
- Feb. 19, 2016 Congratulations to Dr. Liu for his successful PhD defense